FDC (VIC) are currently undertaking a restoration of the Abbotsford Convent Laundries Precinct, 1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford.
Abbotsford Convent, with its 11 historic buildings and gardens, is Australia’s largest multi-arts precinct. Today, the Convent is home to over 100 studios, two galleries, cafes, a radio station, a school, and an abundance of green open space.
The restoration of the pre-1950 Abbotsford Convent Laundries Precinct includes a new Mezzanine floor along with bathroom amenities, lift and staircase. Due to the historic nature of the Convent, all existing materials are to be reused or retained onsite resulting in extensive decontamination, structural works and service upgrades. Much time and consideration are being taken into protecting the integrity of the heritage-listed building.
FDC are delivering this project in conjunction with Harlock Consulting, Connor Pincus Group, TD&C Engineers, William Boag Architects, Nigel Lewis and Heritage Victoria.